Trade Me Insurance - online contents insurance quotes NZ
Skip to main content

Contents insurance

Back on deck.

Don’t let anything kill your groove. Get quality cover at a sharp price. Plus Trade Me members
save 15%
Start a policy and get a
$50 Prezzy Card
View details
Get a quote
Start here

What Kiwis are saying about
Trade Me Insurance

Average Customer Review

Trade Me Insurance's Overall Customer Review:
4.53/5 (August 2016)

Recent Feedback

Very pleased. Very cheap. Very friendly staff. And very easy claim process. Couldn't recommend them enough!

– Liam, Wellington

Easy to use, straight forward questions and rates well below any other insurance companies that I got quotes from.

– Alan, Auckland

Fantastic experience with Trademe insurance. Click of a few buttons and it's sorted.

– Brad, Wanganui

Very easy to set up, tried a number of insurances and Trademe was the cheapest.

– Caroline, Christchurch

Best insurance website I have ever used, very user friendly and making changes to my policy is simple.

– Daniel, Auckland

Now that i have found trade me insurance there's no going back to anything esle. I highly recommend them.

– Donna, Christchurch

I have found Trade Me Insurance easy to set up and market competitive. Excellent.

– Elvin, Lower Hutt

Cheapest price by far for car insurance for me 5/5 would recommend!

– Gary, Christchurch

Competitive, easy to use, comfort of being backed by well know established insurance provider ... happy customer.

– Hayden, Wellington

Thanks Trade Me Insurance, saved me about 50% on what I had previously been paying, Cheers.

– Ian, South Canterbury

As a Trade Me member, the price of my insurance is better than anywhere else. Quality is not compromised...

– Jason, Auckland

Can't ask for more than a simple quoting and purchase process combined with a very reasonable price!

– Jay, Christchurch

Online help, fantastic easy signup and already spread the word on Facebook and twiiter

– John, Auckland

It was all very simple and the quote was very competitive.

– Kelly, Auckland

Great online process and when I had a question the chat service was excellent.

– Louise, Auckland

Easy to set up and rates far cheaper than any competitor!

– Luke, Auckland

I thoroughly researched? and came to a conclusion that Trade Me Insurance is best in terms of its value and coverage.

– Renoh, Auckland

Trade Me insurance beat my previous premiums by $4 a week, when you add that up over a year it's a weekend away!

– Reuben, Whangarei

Excellent service and great value for money. When I needed help it was quick, efficient and helpful.

– Rob, Gisborne

Fantastic service when we needed to make a claim, super quick over Christmas and really made a bad situation as easy as possible!

– Simon, Hamilton

Perfect Example of how customer service should be. Best insurance provider that I have dealt with, and by far the cheapest.

– Sophie, Whangarei

I have used trademe since they have existed and now even used there insurance, keep up the good work guys

– Tim, Auckland

VERY simple to set up and beat all the prices others gave me

– Tom, Wellington

Easiest insurance sign up I have had and a great price to insure my vehicle

– Adrian, Rotorua

Insure everything but the kitchen sink.

No one wants an 80 page document in their mailbox. So instead, here’s a summary of our contents insurance offering in a fun 60 second video.


Easy as!

Now you've got the basics, take a look at the fully furnished policy document or grab a quote. It's quick and easy, just like this video

Download Policies

Protect the stuff that matters.

Imagine flipping your house upside down. Contents insurance protects almost everything that would fall out - from your big TV to that wedding ring grandma gave you.

The things you own aren’t just ‘things’. They’re important to you, and losing them would stink. With contents insurance, you can protect anything you own, right across New Zealand. We’ll provide cover for anywhere from $10,000 to $200,000 worth of possessions.

You can claim for one specific item, like a broken camera. Or, if your house is burgled, you can claim for all the stuff that was stolen. Limits apply, but we’ll aim to pay for, or replace, them all. Protect the stuff that matters with contents insurance.

What am I covered for?

You’re covered for unexpected events such as:

Accidental damage

Accidents happen. If your insured contents are damaged suddenly and unexpectedly, we’ll help repair or replace them.


Been burgled? We’ll get you on your feet again by helping you replace the things that were stolen.

Lost items

Would you lose your head if it wasn't screwed on? Luckily, we can cover your contents for accidental loss.

Business tools

As an add-on, we can also insure the tools you use to make a living (at an additional cost). Limits apply.

Just letting you know...

There are some things your insurance policy won’t cover. For example, we can’t cover you for general wear and tear or mechanical failure. This means we won’t be replacing that 7 year old laptop that’s finally bitten the dust.

You won’t be automatically covered for contents being kept in storage - but you can choose to add this coverage to your policy if you need it. Check out the policy doc for more details.

Here's a summary of all the features that are included in our contents insurance policy, or are available as optional extras. Check out the full policy document at the bottom of this page for all the details.


Accidental loss or damage

We will cover you for the sudden and accidental physical loss or sudden and accidental physical damage to your contents. Cover is up to the sum insured or other amounts specified in the certificate of insurance and policy wording.


This means you’re covered for claims made against you for accidental physical damage to other people’s property.

Frozen food cover

Forget trying to eat 3kg of ice cream in an hour (unless you really want to). We'll cover you up to the value of $500 for any food you lose due to refrigeration equipment accidently stopping.

Gradual damage protection

We’ll cover your stuff for up to $2,500 for gradual damage caused by hidden pipes or water tanks leaking, so long as the damage first occurred after your policy started.

Keys and locks replacement

We'll pay up to $1,000 (excess free) to make your home safe again if you have reason to believe that the security of your contents is compromised - through a stolen key, for example.

Moving house

Change of address? Here's one less thing to worry about. We'll cover your contents at both addresses for up to 14 days while you move from one property to another.

Natural disaster damage

We’ll cover you for natural disaster damage, above the level already provided by the EQC.

No claims bonus

Made no contents insurance claims in the last year? Congrats, you get a no claims bonus!

One event, one excess

If a single event happens and you need to claim under more than one Trade Me Insurance policy, you'll only have to pay the highest of your individual excesses.

Temporary storage after loss

If your house is damaged, we'll help you store your things until it has been fixed up. Not only will we pay for the storage costs, but we'll help ship them to the storage facility as well.

Temporary accommodation expenses

We'll pay up to $25,000 towards your temporary accommodation expenses if your contents are damaged in an event that results in your house being uninhabitable. We'll even include kennel or cattery fees! By the way, we’ll only pay this once if you have cover for this under another policy.

Temporary cover away from home

Going on an extended holiday? Living or working away from home? We'll continue to cover your stuff for a period up to 42 days so long as your stuff stays in NZ.

Contents in storage

We’ll extend your cover to include any contents you are keeping in a secure storage facility (run by a commercial storage company).

Business tools and equipment

We’ll provide cover for your business tools (that's any equipment you make a financial return on), up to your specified sum insured.

Spectacles and contact lenses

Any claims paid for spectacles or contact lenses will be excess-free.

Personal aids

Any claims paid for personal aids will be excess-free. Personal aids can include things like dentures, hearing aids and prosthetics.


What happens when something happens?

Insurance feels simple until it's time to claim. We've made it our mission to change that.

With Trade Me Insurance, you can lodge, review and manage claims online - all from the comfort of the My Insurance hub. Just log in, tell us what happened, and we'll take it from there.

How much will it cost?

Now to the nuts and bolts: how much is contents insurance actually going to cost? Let’s break it down.

  • The cost of your insurance is made up of two parts - your premium and your excess.
  • Your premium is the amount you pay for your cover. Your excess is a one-off payment you make each time you claim.
  • We’ll decide your premium for you, based on a range of factors such as the value of your contents and their location.
  • It’s up to you to decide the amount of excess you’ll pay.

Your excess options

Have a play around and see how changing your excess will affect your premium.

The lower your excess, the higher your premium will be, so it’s all about finding a balance that’s right for you.

Your Excess

Your Premium


Here’s some handy tips to help you get your head around our contents insurance policies.

How much should I insure my contents for?

Totalling up the value of all your bits and bobs can be a headache. But don’t stress. We’ll help you figure this out during the quote process.

What if I have really valuable items?

Most of your things should be covered under your standard general contents cover. However, we’ll also ask you to give us some extra info about your valuable items (stuff worth more than $1,000), so we can make sure you have the right level of cover.

What if my contents are financed?

No problem-o. You can still insure an item that is financed or has money owing on it. It’s important that you tell us who the money is owed to, however, so we can make sure everything is fair come claim time.

What should I do if I get burgled?

First port of call should be your local police. They’ll assess the situation and might come out to your house to see you. They’ll also give you a reference number. Keep this handy when you sign in to your Trade Me Insurance account, as you’ll need it when making a claim.

Want to dive into our contents insurance policy document?

Download contents insurance policy PDF Download PDF

Let’s have a quick look at how much it would cost to insure your contents with Trade Me Insurance.

Get a quote for contents insurance

There’s more where this came from…

Can’t get enough of insurance? Check out our other offerings.

House Insurance

You can’t expect the unexpected, but you can prepare for it. Protect your home with house insurance.

Find out more

Car Insurance

Accidents happen, and people make mistakes. Protect your ride with car insurance.

Find out more